Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Rhythm

Today I went for the first longish ride of the Late Winter, to the end of the Minuteman trail and return. This involves some rough city riding before reaching the head of the trail. In the first miles after the transition I found it difficult to keep a consistent cadence. I had become accustomed to the irregular pacing, starting and stopping of city riding. Gradually though, as potholes turned to divots, head wind to cross wind, stubbornly unaware pedestrians to blissfully unaware pedestrians, something happened. Mile markers sped up. From occurring every 4+ minutes, to 3:50, to 3:30, and bottomed out at sub 3 (hmmm, that seems fast, especially considering the choice of only one gear).

I turned 3:30 per mile with little deviation on the return ride.

1 comment:

  1. For better or for worse, I find that the more interruptions I have in anything, the slower time seems to pass. When you find your groove, your focus, time slips away like a tire on ice.

    I enjoy the interruptions of city riding (minus the occasional preposterous asshole), and revel in the bliss of uninterrupted country riding, and everywhere in between.

    If I use the interruptions as reminders to be happy that I'm out on my bike, they become positive aspects of the ride and help to strengthen the experience.

    ReplyDelete