Tuesday, August 3, 2010

WARNING: Gore!

My bike has pedals colloquially known as "meat grinders." I thought this a cute name for something harmless, since I had never had a problem with them... until yesterday. Approaching the BU Bridge there is a little incline where the right turn lane and bike lane cross. At rush hour, getting up out of the saddle the rear wheel comes loose and sticks against the chainstay causing bike and body to begin bouncing off each other. Somehow I manage to come to a stop on two feet avoiding falling into traffic. I pick up my bike and run over to the sidewalk, knowing my right leg took a beating, but numb to the wound thanks to the excess of adrenaline rushing through my blood. Safely to the sidewalk I look down to find that adrenaline dripping down my leg along with a bit of blood. Further inspection shows that the impact of the pedal put a dent in my calf with lumps of flesh on either side to be pushed around at whim's will.

Now, the responsible adult in me thinks "I should get this cleaned up and bandaged then procure bike upgrades and maintenance." Then the part of me that is perpetually 8 years old (that's the part that reads Calvin and Hobbes every day) thinks "Cooooool, I have to take a picture of this."

After several cleanings the bleeding finally stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment